ISA Annual Report 2022
Positioned for Growth
ISA experienced a tremendously successful 2022 with growth across all areas of the organization.
More members joined our community.
More automation professionals were trained and credentialed.
More governments and organizations recognized our industry-leading standards and conformance programs.
And more media outlets covered our activities.
Today, more than ever, we can proudly say that ISA is the leading professional society for automation and industrial cybersecurity—a society that is positioned for growth.
Letter from the President
To the Automation Community
The last several years have brought many challenges to us all, personally and professionally. ISA as a society needed to refocus, pivot, grow, and change.
I am proud to say that we have emerged today a stronger organization… a more focused organization… and an organization poised to continue to grow in service of the automation community.
A highlight of my year has been to see so many of your faces in person—whether at our ISA Automation and Leadership Conference or on my travels to meet with different sections throughout the world. One of my most important roles as Society President is to stay close to our members and listen to their feedback. Your perception is often the reality and not what we as leaders consider the reality. My predecessors could not travel and visit our members due to the pandemic. This year I was lucky enough to be able to meet our members in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. This was one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of being ISA President, and I was grateful to meet so many of our members, including young professionals and students, all over the world. Thank you all for the hospitality and for sharing your work with me.
Every ISA member has a part to play in our Society’s success, and we are so grateful for your collaboration with one another, with the Executive Board, and with staff. We appreciate all of the contributions you have made to the fantastic year we have had in 2022.
All of the efforts you will read about in this report have led us to revenue growth—greatly surpassing our expectations against the 2022 budget. ISA is a tax-exempt organization, but the more we can do to grow our revenue-generating efforts, the more value and services we can provide back to the global automation community as your professional society and in support of our mission.
I see a brilliant future for ISA—a future that is rooted in strength and community, a future that is positioned for growth and innovation, and a future where we can all—together—create a better world through automation.
On behalf of the Executive Board, I thank all ISA members for your partnership and support. It has been a pleasure serving as your ISA President.
2022 ISA President
ISA opened its new headquarters in Durham, North Carolina, USA, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony in August 2022.
And in November, we came together as a community for the ISA Automation and Leadership Conference—our first in-person event since the pandemic. Hundreds of you attended in person—and hundreds more virtually.
Executive Board 2022
Trinity College Dublin
Steve Mustard, P.E., Eur Ing, C.Eng, CAP, FIET, GICSP, CMCP
National Automation, Inc.
and Controls LLC
R. Donald Bartusiak, PhD
Collaborative Systems Integration
Belith Consulting Services
Dr. Paulina Chan
Global Mutual Innovation Consortium
Jim Garrison, P.E., CAP, CFSE
DCM Shriram Ltd
Maxym Lachance, P.Eng
J. Parsons, P.E.
Control Infotech Inc.
NASA Glenn Research Center
Servilink Systems Ltd.
Ashley Weckwerth, P.E.
Burns & McDonnell
Summary of Major Accomplishments
ISA Strategic Objectives for 2022 included:
Industry Reach and Awareness
Establish and advance ISA’s relevance and credibility as the home of automation by anticipating industry needs, collaborating with stakeholders, and developing and delivering pertinent technical content.
Create opportunities for members to improve critical leadership skills, to build a network of industry professionals, and to develop the next generation of automation professionals.
Technical Education and Certification
Become the recognized leader in automation and control education, providing training, certifications, and publications to prepare the workforce to address technology changes and industry challenges in the most flexible and relevant ways.
Grow membership by enhancing member value and expanding engagement opportunities.
Vision, Mission, and Values
New Year, New Mission
During our Executive Summit in August, the Executive Board and staff leaders considered whether the ISA vision, mission, and values still reflected the organization’s direction and goals.
We found that the vision—Create a better world through automation—should remain as it is. It does a wonderful job of capturing the spirit of our work.
The mission, we found, needed a little tweaking. For some time, our mission had been:
“Advance technical competence by connecting the automation community to achieve operational excellence.”
The new version reads: “Empowering the global automation community through standards and knowledge sharing.”
We believe this revision better captures our goals and direction. Not just to connect the automation community, but to empower the automation community. Rather than technical competence and operational excellence, our focus is on standards and knowledge sharing. We feel this revised mission is better suited to describe the reason why ISA exists, who we serve, and how we do it better than anyone else.
Our values remain unchanged:
- Excellence—We provide industry leading unbiased content developed and vetted by a community of experts
- Integrity—We act with honesty, integrity, and trust—respecting others in all that we do
- Diversity and Inclusion—We are committed to being a global, diverse, and inclusive organization
- Collaboration—We seek out opportunities to work together for the benefit of the Society, its members, and our profession
- Professionalism—We uphold the highest standards of competence and skill in everything we do
Setting the Standard for Automation™
For more than 75 years, ISA has developed standards that represent leading industrial automation and cybersecurity practices. As an ANSI- accredited standards developer, ISA is committed to an open, consensus-based process.
40 Countries represented
14 Standards committees
138 Published standards
20 Recommended practices
63 Technical reports
Published This Year:
- ISA.5.1, Instrumentation Symbols and Identification
- ISA-TR18.2.5, Alarm System Monitoring, Assessment, and Auditing
- ISA-TR84.00.02, Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Verification of Safety Instrumented Functions
- ISA-TR88.00.02, Machine and Unit States: An implementation example of ISA-88.00.01
- ISA-96.06.01, Guidelines for the Specification of Self-Contained Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuators
- ISA-TR96.05.02, In-Situ Proof Testing of Automated Valves
- ISA-TR101.01, HMI Philosophy
New Topics This Year:
- Digitalization of Alarm Management – ISA18
- Use of Digital Information Management Needed to Effectively Manage Functional Safety – ISA84
- Security Profiles for Electric Energy OT Control Systems – ISA99
Number of Trainees: 8,34331% North America
15% Asia & Pacific
4% Latin America & Caribbean
9% Middle East and Africa
Top 5 Training Courses
New This Year
Industrial Cybersecurity for CISO Part 1
Industrial Cybersecurity for CISO Part 2
Industrial Cybersecurity for CISO Part 3
Cyber Attacks on Ukraine’s Power Grid Part 1
Cyber Attacks on Ukraine’s Power Grid Part 2
Case Study Incident at a Water Utility
Online Self-Study Courses
|Credential Name||Current Holders||New in 2022|
|Certified Automation Professional (CAP®)||622||11|
|Certified Automation Professional Associate||57||2|
|Certified Control System Technician® (CCST ®) Level 1||1,305||75|
|Certified Control System Technician (CCST) Level 2—Specialist||401||16|
|Certified Control System Technician (CCST) Level 3—Master||335||3|
|Control Systems Technician Associate||134||1|
|Automation Project Management Specialist||20||13|
|Certificate 1: ISA/IEC 61511 SIS Fundamentals Specialist||207||27|
|Certificate 2: ISA/IEC 61511 SIL Selection Specialist||54||12|
|Certificate 3: ISA/IEC 61511 SIL Verification Specialist||39||7|
|ISA/IEC 61511 SIS Expert||104||40|
|Certificate 1: ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Fundamentals Specialist||1,785||482|
|Certificate 2: ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Risk Assessment Specialist||791||252|
|Certificate 3: ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Design Specialist||500||201|
|Certificate 4: ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Maintenance Specialist||419||169|
|ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Expert||460||166|
The ISA Global Cybersecurity Alliance (ISAGCA) is a collaborative forum to advance OT cybersecurity awareness, education, readiness, standardization, and knowledge sharing.
The ISA Global Cybersecurity Alliance is made up of 50+ member companies and industry groups, representing more than $1.3 trillion in aggregate revenue across more than 2,400 combined worldwide locations. Automation and cybersecurity provider members serve 31 different industries, underscoring the broad applicability of the ISA/IEC 62443 series of standards.
Major accomplishments in 2022 include:
- New York state legislators to include cybersecurity requirements based on ISA/IEC 62443 to the Critical Infrastructure Standards and Procedures (CRISP) Act
- Cybersecurity Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) published Cross-Sector Performance Goals (CPG) document that references ISA/IEC 62443
- ISA/IEC 62443 and ISASecure® are now referenced in the latest edition of the National Electric Code published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Malaysia has agreed to adopt ISA/IEC 62443 as a national standard
- ISAGCA leadership testified before US Congress about the program’s ICS4ICS effort: the Incident Command System for Industrial Control Systems
Read the full 2022 year in review for ISAGCA here.
ISAGCA Members include:
In addition to ISAGCA and ICS4ICS described above, three additional consortia offer research and conformity assessment services in the fields of cybersecurity and wireless interoperability.
ISA and its community of subject matter experts are the leading voices in industrial automation and cybersecurity.
Whether it’s through events, books, e-magazines, or industry media, ISA presents thoughtful commentary and technical guidance.
2022 events and webinars were held both virtually and in person, with locations all over the world:
Net Zero Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia, 20 October
- Registrations: 750
Cybersecurity Standards Implementation Conference (CSIC)
- United States, 26 October
- Virtual registrations: 737
- In-person registrations: 16 in person
- Registrations: 374
IIoT and Smart Manufacturing
- United States, 30 March
- Registrations: 1,045
IoT Solutions World Congress
- Barcelona, 10–12 May
- Registrations: 1,328
- Registrations: 1,328
Digital Transformation Virtual Conference—Brazil
- Date: 29 March
- Registrations: 1,017
Digital Transformation Conference—US
- Dates: 28 May & 13 October
- In-person Registrations: 42
- Virtual Registrations: 424
Digital Transformation Virtual Conference—Malaysia
- Date: 5 October
- Registrations: 856
- Training Registrations: 19
- Registrations: 221
Automation & Leadership Conference (ALC)
- Location: United States
- Dates: 7-9 November
- Training Registrations: 5
- Virtual Registrations: 621
- In-Person Registrations: 228
- Webinar Registrations: 2,601 (topic: process)
40+ entities have sponsored ISA events including:
- 1898 & Co. (part of Burns & McDonnell)
- Abyss Solutions
- AVF Solutions - Swagelok
- Coalition for Open Process Automation
- Copia Automation Inc.
- Dragos, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company
- Finite State IO
- Fortinet, Inc.
- HighByte, Inc.
- Intel Corporation
- mCloud Technologies Corp
- Meerza Resources
- Nozomi Networks
- Opto 22
- Phoenix Contact Inc.
- Quartic.ai Inc
- Stahl, Inc.
- Red Lion Controls, Inc.
- Rockwell Automation, Inc.
- Schneider Electric U.S.
- Sedia Teguh
- SignalFire Wireless Telemetry
- Verve Industrial Protection
By the Numbers
288 In-person Registrants
621 Virtual Registrants
2 Training Sessions
- Industrial Cybersecurity Case Studies, Steve Mustard
- Control System Engineer (CSE) Study Guide, Seventh Edition, ISA
- Control Systems Reference Handbook (for the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying [NCEES]), ISA
- Fundamentals of Process Control Principles and Concepts, Patrick Bouwman
- Road to Integration, Second Edition, Scholten and Brandl
- Measurement and Control Basics, Fifth Edition
- The Condensed Handbook of Measurement and Control, Fourth Edition
- Safety Instrumented System Design: Techniques and Design Verification
- Calibration: A Technician’s Guide
- A Guide to the Automation Body of Knowledge, Third Edition
- Advances in Reactor Measurement and Control
- Analytical Instrumentation
- Troubleshooting: A Technician’s Guide, Second Edition
- Instrumentation and Control Systems Documentation, Second Edition
- Control Systems Engineering Exam Reference Manual, Fourth Edition
InTech Magazine6 Issues (print and digital)
58 Original articles
4 InTech FOCUS ebooks
InTech Webpages186,621 Users
441,663 Page Views
InTech Plus25 Newsletters
Topic and Number of Newsletters
26 Issues: Automation Insights
16 Issues: Factory Automation
15 Issues: Process Automation
11 Issues: Connectivity & Cybersecurity
16 Issues: IIoT & Smart Manufacturing
3,198,069 Page views
2,700+ News, products, and features stories published
- AUTOMATION 2022: IIoT & Industry 4.0 – February
- AUTOMATION 2022: Cybersecurity & Connectivity – April
- AUTOMATION 2022: IIoT & Industry 4.0 – June
- AUTOMATION 2022: Industrial Automation Trends – August
- AUTOMATION 2022: Cybersecurity & Connectivity – October
- AUTOMATION 2022: IIoT & Industry 4.0 – December
1,027 Registrants: Cybersecurity
Webinars Topics & Registrations
593 Registrants: IIoT & Smart Manufacturing
576 Registrants: Process Automation
85% Year over year increase in placements
5,473 Total media mentions of ISA and ISA/IEC 62443 in 2022, including the following publications and media outlets:
Professional Members: 13,813
11% increase over 2021
|Latin America and the Caribbean||3.63%||3.67%||-0.05%|
|Middle East and Africa||5.22%||5.11%||0.11%|
|Asia and the Pacific||12.82%||11.96%||0.86%|
Student Members: 2,643
9.85% increase over 2021
|Latin America and the Caribbean||11.01%||4.53%||6.48%|
|Middle East and Africa||3.29%||6.77%||-3.48%|
|Asia and the Pacific||43.13%||43.43%||-0.30%|
- Aerospace / Test Measurement Division
- Analysis Division
- Automatic Controls and Robotics Division
- Automation Project Management and Delivery Division
- Building Automation Systems Division
- Chemical and Petroleum Industries Division
- Construction and Design Division
- Education and Research Division
- Food and Pharmaceutical Industries Division
- Mining and Metals Industries Division
- Power Industry Division
- Process Measurement and Control Division
- Pulp and Paper Industry Division
- Safety and Security Division
- Smart Manufacturing and IIoT Division
- Water and Wastewater Industries Division
On average, each division hosted 6 ISA Connect Live and 3 OnPoint programs
- Connect Live Definition: Technical discussion and networking in a live, virtual setting
- OnPoint Definition: Division-led technical presentations delivering on-topic, on-time, on-demand content to ISA members
- Visit the OnPoint in File library
11 Average number of volunteer leaders involved in each division
2,754 Average number of members per division
Collaboration with Divisions
The Smart Manufacturing & IIoT Division worked with ISA staff to create the first-ever “division lead” issue of InTech in August. It was a great opportunity for members and staff to collaborate to provide a holistic view of what’s happening in smart manufacturing. And in October, the Mining and Metals Division wrote the InTech cover story.
108 Sections in 31 countries
80 Student sections
9 is the average number of volunteers operating a section
85% of sections had 3 or more activities for members to engage
ISA Young Professionals (YP) is an inclusive community where young professionals under the age of 35 can make an impact and influence the future of automation. The Young Professionals held 6 ISA Connect Live programs, and met in person at the first dedicated YP reception at the Automation and Leadership Conference.
1,566 Number of members designated as Young Professional
Celebrating Excellence Recognitions
- Excellence in Technical Innovation
Uday Sheorey | Nagpur, MH, IN
- Excellence in Corporate Technical Innovation
BBA Canada | Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC, CN
- Excellence in Technical Presentation
Brad Carlberg | BSC Engineering | Hoodsport, WA, US
- Excellence in Education
Cesar de Prada Moraga | Universidad De Valladolid College | Valladolid, SP, ES
- Mentoring Excellence
Richard Tunstall | Lee College | Baytown, TX, US
- Excellence in Enduring Service
Mary Cannon | Houston, TX, US
Philip Evans | Shaw| Calgary, AB, CN
- Excellence in Society Service
Jose Salinas | Mexico City, MX
- Division Excellence
Water and Wastewater Industries Division
- Division Leader Excellence
Simon Lucchini | Shaw | Calgary, AB, CN
- Section Excellence
- Section Leader Excellence
H.S. Pansare | Logicon Technosolutions Pvt Ltd. | Pune, MH, IN
- Standards Excellence
Angela Summers | SIS Tech Solutions | Houston, TX, US
- Volunteer Leader of the Year
Bradley Churchman | Katy, TX, US
57,000 USD Total amount awarded
19 Total number of recipients awarded
Region of Recipients:
- 2-Year Undergraduates
- (2) North America
- 4-Year Undergraduates
- (10) Asia and the Pacific
- (1) North America
- (1) Asia and the Pacific
- (1) Europe
- (4) North America
Followers by Social Media Platform:
373,257 on Facebook
120,215 on LinkedIn
10,280 on Instagram
24,744 on Twitter
5,276 on Pinterest
12,900 on YouTube
1,413 on TikTok
International Automation Professionals Day – 28 April
In 2022, we came up with a great new idea to celebrate a holiday of our own invention… International Automation Professionals Day!
ISA chose the 28th of April for this celebration to commemorate the anniversary of the organization’s founding on 28 April 1945.
We asked you to show your pride and post videos and photos of yourself working as an automation professional, wearing ISA apparel, and interacting with others in our community. The response was overwhelmingly positive, with well over 200 posts on social media from members all over the world.
A new version of ISA Connect—our exclusive, members-only community—was launched in 2022, with a much-improved user experience and new homepages for division activities. ISA Connect is your space to engage in technical discussions, build your professional network, and enhance your personal profile.
User Activity:39,942 Total user logins
7,339 Unique users logged in
1,272 Total discussion posts
394 Number of unique contributors
Top 10 content tags:
- Oil and Gas
- Connectivity and Cybersecurity
- Operations and Management
- Process Safety
- Power and Energy
- Smart Manufacturing
- Continuous and Batch Processing
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIOT)
2022 Operational Net
|Current Assets||USD 9,708,969|
|Marketable Securities||USD 35,383,978|
|Fixed Assets||USD 3,399,835|
|Subsidiary and Other Assets||USD 1,410,930|
|Total Assets||USD 49,903,712|
Liabilities and Net Assets
|Total Liabilities||USD 10,245,355|
|Net Assets||USD 44,485,499|
|YTD Surplus/(Deficit)||USD (4,827,142)|
|Total Liabilities and Net Assets||USD 49,903,712|